Our faculty and staff are in the forefront of the exploration of the causes and treatments of mental illness.
Anka Vujanovic, Ph.D.
Dr. Anka Vujanovic is Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Medical School of the University of Texas Health Science Center (UTHSC) at Houston. In addition, she is the Director of Psychology Services at the University of Texas Harris County Psychiatric Center, where she also oversees the Clinical Practicum Program in Psychology. Prior to joining the faculty of UTHSC, Dr. Vujanovic held the positions of Staff Research Psychologist at the National Center for PTSD-Behavioral Science Division, VA Boston Healthcare System, and Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Boston University School of Medicine (2009-2011). Dr. Vujanovic's research program is focused primarily upon the examination of biopsychosocial risk and maintenance factors related to the association of posttraumatic stress and substance use disorders. Dr. Vujanovic is actively involved teaching and in the clinical supervision of psychiatry residents as well as graduate students in clinical and counseling psychology.
2008-2009 Alpert Medical School, Brown University, Providence, RI
Clinical Psychology Internship (APA-accredited program)
2003-2009 University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology (APA-accredited program)
1997-2000 Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT
B.A., Psychology; English minor
1996-1997 New York University, New York, NY
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Biopsychosocial risk and maintenance factors underlying association between posttraumatic stress and substance use disorders (nicotine, cannabis, alcohol, cocaine).
- Etiology and maintenance processes related to posttraumatic stress disorder.
Publications (selected from over 60 peer-reviewed articles):
- Bonn-Miller, M. O., Boden, M. T., Vujanovic, A. A., & Drescher, K. D. (in press). A prospective investigation of the impact of cannabis use disorders on posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms among veterans in residential treatment. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy.
- Vujanovic, A. A., Bernstein, A., Marshall, E. C., & Zvolensky, M. J. (in press). Single-
session anxiety sensitivity reduction program for trauma-exposed adults: A case series documenting feasibility and initial efficacy. Behavior Therapy.
- Bonn-Miller, M. O., Vujanovic, A. A., & Drescher, K. D. (2011). Cannabis use among
military veterans after residential treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 25, 485-491.
- Marshall-Berenz, E. C., Vujanovic, A. A., & MacPherson, L. (2011). Impulsivity and alcohol use
coping motives in a trauma-exposed sample: The mediating role of distress tolerance.
Personality and Individual Differences, 50, 588-592.
- Vujanovic, A. A., Bonn-Miller, M. O., & Marlatt, G. A. (2011). Posttraumatic stress and alcohol
use coping motives among a trauma-exposed community sample: The mediating role of
non-judgmental acceptance. Addictive Behaviors, 36, 707-712.
- Vujanovic, A. A., Niles, B., Pietrefasa, A., Schmertz, S., & Potter, C. M. (2011). Mindfulness
in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder among military veterans. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 42, 24-31.
- Bernstein, A., Tanay, G., & Vujanovic, A. A. (2011). Concurrent relations between mindful attention and awareness and psychopathology among trauma-exposed adults: Preliminary evidence of transdiagnostic resilience. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 25, 99-113.
- Bonn-Miller, M. O., Vujanovic, A. A., Boden, M. T., & Gross, J. J. (2011). Posttraumatic stress,
difficulties in emotion regulation, and coping-oriented marijuana use. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 40, 34-44.
- Vujanovic, A. A., Bernstein, A., & Litz, B. T. (2011). Traumatic stress. In M. J. Zvolensky, A. Bernstein, & A. A. Vujanovic (Eds.), Distress tolerance: Theory, research, and clinical applications (pp. 126-148). New York: Guilford Press.
- Bonn-Miller, M. O., Vujanovic, A. A., Twohig, M. P., Medina, J. L., & Huggins, J. L. (2010).
Posttraumatic stress symptom severity and marijuana use coping motives: A test of the mediating role of non-judgmental acceptance within a trauma-exposed community sample. Mindfulness, 1, 98-106.
- Shea, M. T., Vujanovic, A. A., Mansfield, A. K., Sevin, E., & Liu, F. (2010). Functional
impairment among OEF/OIF veterans: Associations with PTSD symptoms. Journal of
Traumatic Stress, 23, 100-107.
- Marshall-Berenz, E. C., Vujanovic, A. A., Bonn-Miller, M. O., Bernstein, A., & Zvolensky, M. J.
(2010). Multi-method study of distress tolerance and PTSD symptom severity in a trauma-exposed community sample. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 23,623-630.
- Vujanovic, A. A., Marshall, E. C., Beckham, J. C., Bernstein, A., & Zvolensky, M. J. (2010).
Posttraumatic stress symptoms and cigarette deprivation in the prediction of anxious responding among trauma-exposed smokers: A laboratory test. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 12, 1080-1088.
Location & Contact Info
Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences Building
1941 East Road
Houston, Texas 77054
713.486.2525 New Patients
Our affiliates include the following: