Our faculty and staff are in the forefront of the exploration of the causes and treatments of mental illness.
Cynthia W. Santos, M.D.
Dr. Santos is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, and has served as the Training Director for the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program for the past 19 years. Dr. Santos completed medical school, general and child/adolescent psychiatry residencies here at the University of Texas at Houston Medical School. Dr. Santos has been actively involved in numerous activities related to psychiatric education. Currently she serves on the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Steering Committee of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She is also a member of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Psychiatry Residency Review Committee (RRC). Previously, she served for ten years on the Psychiatry Resident-In-Training Examination (PRITE) Editorial Board.
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Child and adolescent psychiatry
- Psychiatric residency education
- Santos CW, Harper RA, Saunders AE and Randle SL. (Invited) Developing a Psychopathology Curriculum during Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training: General Principles and a Problem-Based Approach. (2007) Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinics of North America, 16(1), 95-110.
- Zisook S, Benjamin S, Balon R, Gluck I, Louie A, Moutier C, Moyer T, Santos C, and Servis M. Alternate Methods of Teaching Psychopharmacology. Academic Psychiatry 2005, 29(2):141-154.
- Pearson, D.A., Santos, C.W., Casat, C.D., Lane, D.M., Jerger, S.W., Roache, J.D., Loveland, K.A., Lachar, D., Faria, L.P., Payne, C.D., & Cleveland, L.A. (2004). Treatment effects of methylphenidate on cognitive functioning in children with mental retardation and ADHD. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 43(6), 677-685.
- Pearson, D.A., Lane, D.M., Santos, C.W., Casat, C.D., Jerger, S.W., Loveland, K.A., Faria, L.P., Mansour, R., Henderson, B.A., Payne, C.D., Roache, J., Lachar, D., & Cleveland, L.A. (2004). Effects of methylphenidate treatment in children with mental retardation and ADHD: Individual variation in medication response. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 43(6), 686-698.
- Skokauskas N, Santos C, Paul M, Guerrero A, Tan S. Problem-Based Learning in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Presented at the 19th World Congress of the International Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professions. Beijing, June 2010.
- Guthrie E, Beresin G, Varley C and Santos C. CAP Clinical Skills Verification: Helping Faculty Provide Effective Feedback for Competency Attainment. Presented to the American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training, Orlando, Florida, March 2010.
- Skokauskas N, Paul M, Guerrero A, Santos C and Coll X. Problem-based Learning in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (Special Interest Group). Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Honolulu, Hawaii, October 30, 2009.
Location & Contact Info
Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences Building
1941 East Road
Houston, Texas 77054
713.486.2525 New Patients
Our affiliates include the following:
- Cynthia W. Santos, M.D.
Distinguished Teaching Professor
Program Director, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
1941 East Road
Houston, Texas 77054
- phone: (713) 486-2651