Our faculty and staff are in the forefront of the exploration of the causes and treatments of psychiatric disorders.
Samoan C. Johnson, Ph.D.
`Dr. Samoan C. Johnson is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. In addition to being on faculty, she is the Director of the Adult Competency Restoration Program at UT-Harris County Psychiatric Center (UT-HCPC). For several years, Dr. Johnson provided psychological services to the children, adolescents, and adults at UT-HCPC.
Dr. Johnson has conducted numerous presentations regarding multiculturalism, mood disorders, and suicidality. She has published research in major academic journals regarding the impact of racism on African-American's well-being. She is particularly passionate about reducing the stigma of mental health in the African-American community.
With a strong belief in mental health awareness and advocacy, Dr. Johnson serves on the board of directors and advisory boards of several organizations including Julia C. Hester House, Family Services of Greater Houston, and Interface Samaritan Counseling Centers. Dr. Johnson is an alumnus of the United Way Project Blueprint Leadership Program and a member of the Junior League of Houston.
Dr. Johnson is the President of the Houston Psychological Association and a Past President of the Houston Association of Black Psychologists. She is the only Houston area psychologist who has served as President of both of Houston's psychological associations. Dr. Johnson has received several community and academic awards. In 2005, 2007, and 2008, Dr. Johnson was named one of Houston's Top 100 Young Professionals in H Texas Magazine. In 2007, 2008, and 2011, Dr. Johnson was highlighted in the editions of Who's Who of Black Houston. In March of 2008, she was named as one of Houston's "Women on the Move" in D Mars Magazine.
Dillard University, New Orleans, LA. B.A., Psychology, 1993
Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL. M.A., Counseling, 1996
University of Houston, Houston, TX. Ph.D., Counseling Psychology, 2004
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Racial identity, Ethnic identity, & Racial Discrimination
- Suicidality & Bipolar Disorders in Children
- Cokley, K., Jones, M., McClain, S. & Johnson, S. (2011). "A Preliminary Examination of Academic Disidentification, Racial Identity, and Academic Achievement Among African-American Adolescents". The High School Journal, 95 (2) 54-68.
- Jones, M., Johnson, S., Cokley, K., (2010). Ethnic Identity, Grade Point Average, and Devaluing Academic Success As Predictors of Academic Self-Concept in African-American Adolescents in Urban High Schools. PsychDiscourse, 44, (5), 6-7.
- Johnson, S. & Arbona, C. (2006) The Relation of Ethnic Identity, Racial Identity, and Race-Related Stress Among College Aged African-Americans. Journal of College Student Development, Vol 47 (5), 495-507.
Location & Contact Info
Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences Building
1941 East Road
Houston, Texas 77054
713.486.2525 New Patients
Our affiliates include the following: