Our faculty and staff are in the forefront of the exploration of the causes and treatments of mental illness.
R. Andrew Harper, M.D.
Dr. Andrew Harper is the Medical Director of the University of Texas Harris County Psychiatric Center. He is an Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston where he also serves as an Assistant Dean for Educational Programs. After completing his undergraduate studies at Baylor University, Dr. Harper received his MD from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston where he also completed residencies in Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. His clinical experience is primarily in the area of inpatient child and adolescent psychiatry. He is also involved in the education of medical students and psychiatry residents.
Clinical and Research Interests:
- Child and adolescent inpatient care
- Telepsychiatry, impulsivity and aggression, mood disorders in children and adolescents
- Dougherty, D. M., Bjork, J. M., Harper, R. A., Marsh, D. M., Moeller, F. G., and Mathias, C. W. Behavioral Impulsivity Paradigms: A Comparison in Hospitalized Adolescents with Disruptive Behavior Disorders. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 44:8 2003
- Dougherty D M, Bjork J M, Moeller F G, Harper R A, Marsh D M, Mathias C W, Swann A C. Familial transmission of Continuous Performance Test behavior: attentional and impulsive response characteristics. Journal of General Psychology. 130:1 2003.
- Moeller F G, Dougherty D M, Barratt E S, Oderinde V, Mathias C W, Harper R A, Swann A C. Increased impulsivity in cocaine dependent subjects independent of antisocial personality disorder and aggression. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.68:1 2002.
Location & Contact Info
Behavioral and Biomedical Sciences Building
1941 East Road
Houston, Texas 77054
713.486.2525 New Patients
Our affiliates include the following:
- R. Andrew Harper, M.D.
Medical Director, University of Texas Harris County Psychiatric Center
Assistant Dean for Educational Programs, Medical School
Vice Chair of Education, Department of Psychiatry
Distinguished Teaching Professor, University of Texas System
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- University of Texas-Houston Medical School
2800 S. MacGregor Way
Houston, Texas 77021
- phone: (713) 741-7805
- Fax: (713) 741-6909