GUIDELINES FOR FOURTH-YEAR ELECTIVES
1. The objectives of the elective are defined and indicate by specific topics the body of knowledge
to be mastered. It is strongly recommended that these be given to students in writing at the
beginning of the elective period.
2. The clinical and didactic experiences planned for the course must be designed to accomplish the objectives.
3. The elective involves at least 30 hours per week of time with at least 10 hours structured (clinical, conference, lecture).
4. The elective involves significant teaching by faculty.
5. At least five hours of teaching per week are aimed at the MS4 level.
6. The students are evaluated based on the demonstration of their accomplishment of the objectives.
7. Students are observed closely enough by faculty to evaluate their performance meaningfully.
8. Mid-rotation feedback is encouraged for all students, but feedback in writing is required for any
students identified as having deficiencies, as soon as the deficiency is identified.